Car Accident Insurance Coverage

There is no standard auto insurance product known as “full coverage” after a car accident. When we hear that phrase in reference to auto insurance, it is like nails on a chalkboard. If you think you have “full coverage”, you may not. If you own or operate a motor vehicle, it is important that you understand the types of insurance that exist. The failure to have the right auto insurance could have devastating consequences if you are injured in a car accident.

In Florida if you have auto insurance, then you have personal injury protection and property coverage. If that is all the insurance you have and you are an accident that results in an injury, you are going to find yourself in desperate need and with limited options. Personal injury protection (commonly referred to as “PIP”) will cover up to $10,000 of your medical expenses and lost wages. However, recent changes in the law require you to receive a determination that you have an emergency medical condition within 14 days from the date of the accident to claim these benefits. Also, there is often a deductible associated with PIP benefits that could reduce your ability to receive the full $10,000 benefit.

While the PIP coverage may seem like a decent amount of coverage, an emergency room visit could easily exhaust this coverage if you suffer a serious injury. When you factor in medical care to help you recover, tests that may become necessary, and future medical care, $10,000 is a drop in the bucket. Far from “full coverage”. And car accident injuries are very common.

If you were injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, then you may be able to seek compensation through the other party’s insurance IF they carry liability insurance. This is the same coverage that would protect you if you had caused the accident and thereby caused someone else to suffer an injury. This is a great product because not only will it give a potential recover source if you are at fault, but it will also provide a legal defense at no additional charge if you caused the accident.

If you are injured by a motorist who does not carry liability insurance, like the many people who choose to drive without a license, then there is an auto insurance product which will protect you and give you an avenue to seek compensation for your injuries. This is known as un-inured/under-insured motorist coverage. This product provides coverage for permanent injuries that you suffer when you are injured by a motorist with no liability insurance or with inadequate limits. If you do not un-insured/under-insured coverage, we highly recommend researching how much your annual premium would increase by adding this product. This is one of the best insurance coverages for a motorist and can often be added at minimal expense. If someone else injures you in an auto accident, this coverage will give you the peace of mind to know that you have a possible recovery source.

There are other products like collision coverage, comprehensive coverage, and medical pay. Finding the best insurance products can be a complicated process. At Glassman & Zissimopulos, we offer free consultation to anyone in the community who would like to make sure they have adequate auto insurance.

Of course, we hope you never need to use your auto insurance coverage. However, we know that accidents do happen and if you are injured, we can help. The lawyers at Glassman & Zissimopulos have a combined experience of more than 20 years helping people injured in auto accidents. Call us today at 352-505-4515 (toll free at (844) 787-2543) or visit our website at

Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.

© 2014-2017 Glassman & Zissimopulos Law


Website Built by Christopher Stoney

Font Resize