Property Damage 101 - Glassman and Zissimopulos | Injury - Car Accident - Criminal Defense

You’re driving down the road on a beautiful summer day and your favorite song is playing on the radio. Life is good. Out of nowhere, you hear screeching tires and right as you glance into your rear-view mirror you see the truck behind you crash violently into your brand-new car. You get out to check on and see that the force has demolished the back end of your vehicle. Instantly you’re wondering who, how, and if it will be fixed.

After being involved in an accident, figuring out how to go about getting your vehicle repaired or replaced can be not only complicated but incredibly frustrating. In Florida, there are numerous types of insurance coverages and deciphering through which you have and how much it covers is incredibly overwhelming and time-consuming. To make this process easier for you, our team at Glassman & Zissimopulos Law here in Gainesville, Florida have constructed a simple breakdown of insurance coverages and how they apply.

Property Damage Liability Insurance

This is the only type of property insurance that is required by Florida Law. This covers damage to other vehicles involved in an accident or crash. In other words, if you cause an accident in Florida, Property Damage Liability (PDL) will protect you in that it will allow for the other person to get their car fixed under your insurance limits. The bare minimum coverage required by Florida is $10,000 for Property Damage Liability. Florida Statute 322.022 provides the requirements for maintaining property damage liability insurance.  

Given the increasing values of automobiles and vehicles in Florida, it may be prudent to consider having property damage liability limits that are more than the minimum required amounts.

Collision Insurance

Although referenced in Florida Statutes (See Fla. Stat. Chapter 627), this type of insurance is not required. However, Glassman & Zissimopulos Law highly recommends that Florida motorists obtain collision insurance because this insurance covers damages done to your vehicle following an accident, and applies even if you are the cause of the accident. With a growing number of uninsured and underinsured motorist in Florida, this type of insurance will ensure that you are protected.

While having applicable collision insurance will cover your vehicle’s property damage, it will not reimburse you for what you paid for the vehicle. There are some insurance products, such as gap insurance that can help make up the difference between the fair market value of your vehicle and the amount that you may owe on your car loan.

Comprehensive or Other than Collision Insurance

Again, this type of insurance is not required but is referenced in Florida Statutes. This type of insurance will provide coverage for damage to your vehicle caused by incidents other than a car crash. This will allow you to recover for property damage due to theft, vandalism, fire, natural disasters, falling trees, and in some cases damage done by civil disturbances. You should read your insurance contract closely to determine the situations that your comprehensive coverage will cover.

Here at Glassman & Zissimopulos Law we help people who have been involved in car crashes. In addition to the injuries that people suffer, the challenges dealing with damaged and disabled cars can be overwhelming. If you would like a free consultation with our attorneys today to review your insurance policies to make sure you are protected, please contact Glassman & Zissimopulos Law today at today.


Write a comment:


Your email address will not be published.

© 2014-2017 Glassman & Zissimopulos Law


Website Built by Christopher Stoney

Font Resize